Random thoughts from Finland
OMG, are things expensive!...The tram system is really nice, and the best part is that they do not have to swipe, like in Chicago...Finland, believe it or not, has only been independent since 1917..Virtually no signs of poverty in Helsinki...The pharmacies in Helsinki do not sell food, like a CVS with no food/alcohol products. Instead, there are "R Kioski," small stores with the kinds of food and drink that you would find inside a U.S. gas station. These stores are everywhere...The museums are presented really well, exhibits flow together, and they do not overwhelm you with information...The Finns are very friendly and a very proud nation.
This is the first time that I have traveled somewhere where I did not have some command of the main language of where I was traveling to. In the past, the places I have traveled to either spoke English, Spanish, or Hebrew, all of which I know enough of to get by. With that said, most Finns do know English and signs are in English. It makes me really appreciate and even feel a little spoiled that I know English--because everything is catered towards our language, at least in the places I've traveled to. This is also the first time I've traveled somewhere with no intention to return. I enjoyed getting to see Finland, and I feel like I got to see everything that I wanted, but there just isn't enough to justify a return trip. It is a little surreal of a feeling knowing that you will never come back, but it is a good thing, because otherwise, you would never travel beyond just a few places. With that said, I would definitely recommend Helsinki as a two-day trip for someone, preferably in the summer when you can enjoy the outdoors, possibly with a picnic and enjoy the beautiful architecture.
No comments:
Post a Comment